i found these in my spider plant {Chlorophytum comosum}.. i was so devastated.. i just over reacted! and decided i needed to get it out of the "infected" dirt and throw all the potting soil away! {my plant was inherited.. i have had it for years i would be so sad to loose it!} i have been having problems with it in the last few months and was in fear for its life!

so today..that is just what i did but can you see the picture of the mushroom fungus..it doubled in size since yesterday.

i got it all out of the dirt cleaned all the roots and put it all in water for now.
more close up of the offending mushrooms..

well i did say i over reacted because AFTER i did all this work, i looked them up on the Internet. yeah.. here is what i found out. not harmful to my plant only to my dog.. and kids.
and i am sure none of them would have been eating them any time soon.

but i will have a healthy plant when this is done.. I HOPE!

ISU Entomology / Horticulture and Home Pest News / Mushrooms in Houseplant Pots

Mushrooms in Houseplant Pots

The Plant Disease Clinic occasionally receives calls about small, yellow mushrooms that pop up in the pots of houseplants. What are they? Where did they come from? Are they harmful to the plant? Can they harm people or pets?

In most cases, the fungus in question is Lepiota lutea, sometimes called the yellow parasol or flower pot parasol. This species can be found outside in the summer, but is most commonly found year-round with potted plants or in greenhouses. The small lemon yellow mushrooms are about 1 to 3 inches tall with 1 to 2 inch oval or bell-shaped caps. They may appear singly or in clusters.

A mushroom is the reproductive structure of a fungus that spends the rest of its life cycle as a thread-like body in the soil or debris, not usually visible. That thread-like body, called a mycelium, could have been introduced to the pot in the potting mix. Alternately, a spore of the fungus (similar to a seed) may have floated through the air and landed in the pot, starting the fungal colony.

The Lepiota lutea fungus is a saprophyte, which means that it breaks down dead organic matter in the pot. It does not harm living plants and mushrooms do not need to be removed for the plant's sake. However, the mushrooms are poisonous to people and animals, so if pets or small children are nearby it would be wise to remove the mushrooms as they appear. Fungicide treatments are generally not effective against mushrooms.

A Lepiota lutea mushroom growing with a potted plant.

Mushroom growing with potted plant